Thursday, July 14, 2011

Winding Down: Entering The Final Month of Preggoness

Welcome to the last month of my pregnancy! Only 5 weeks to go!

It's so hard for me to believe that this whole countdown started with 280 days and a baby the size of a pin-point. Now there are only 35 days until I give birth to a boy the size of a cantaloupe (as of now...once he hits 40 weeks, it's watermelon city).

He's still all soft. Skull, bones, cartilage. That's all well and good for squeezing him out of my junk but it still scares the bejesus out of me. My little marshmallow man. So fragile. And growth is allegedly experiencing a slow down at this point in time. I already knew he hit his birth length but I guess he'll be packing on the pounds a bit slower to save energy for his big journey. Such a short distance to travel...yet such a huge deal!

An interesting fact: while most of his systems are mature, his digestive system won't be fully operational for 1 to 2 years due to him depending on the umbilical cord in utero. Fascinating. To me. His mother. The penguin.

Yep, even though I'm not carrying much weight, I've got the pregnant penguin walk going on because all the weight I DO have, it front and center. Yep, I'm waddling a little but it's entertaining. And important, or so I hear. The waddle means my connective tissue is loosening which is important for the big day.

On a very awesome note, I have to believe that Spencer is "dropping", which sometimes doesn't happen until labor begins, because I can BREATHE! I can take actual, deep breaths without feeling like I'm going to keel over. I'll never take breathing for granted again. Breathlessness (and I have asthma so I know something about it) is horrific.

On a less awesome note, I haven't been feeling so hot the past few days. Horrible headache, dizziness, blurry vision. And of course there's the cramping/contractions and one fussy pain that I can't shake. And during all this "off" feeling, Spencer has been THEE most active he's ever been. I love it, but it makes it a bit difficult to get any solid rest. I had to take the day off work yesterday but everyone understands. We're in the home stretch. If he were born today, he'd have a 99% chance of surviving. That's a percentage I can live with.

Not sure how long I can live with this skull crushing business. But this helped.


Doc appointment on Tuesday. More blathering then...unless I burst before.

1 comment:

  1. How did you get to your 8th month already???? Seems like you're handling things well, given all of the late prego ickiness. Can't wait for Marshmallow Man to get here.

    ReplyDelete