Tuesday, November 22, 2011

***

I received a letter in the mail regarding an evaluation Spencer had that was very positive and reassuring about his development. I have every confidence that he's going to blow minds left and right. He's done so much to be awesome in his 15 weeks of life and I don't just see that coming to a screeching halt.

But it was the phone call I received that really knocked my socks off.

For the first time since this whole Leukemia thing began, the pathologist did not see ANY abnormal cells in Spencer's bloodwork! You read that right. NO ABNORMAL CELLS. I was so excited I could barely stay on the phone with his doctor. I wanted to call Todd right away! We'll have a confirmation follow-up (and a blood draw for a case study he's in...he's the only baby from Rainbow in a case study involving 80 national hospitals), and if the blasts stay gone, he's in "remission". Technically, it's not REMISSION because it resolved itself without treatment and was a transient form of Leukemia. But that's really the best way to describe it.

He'll always be at risk for full-blown Leukemia requiring treatment but I'm going to take this good news and run with it. Will cross that horrible bridge when and if we have to. With him being in this case study for the next 5 years, if something pops up, they're sure to catch it quick and squash it.

I never really thought Spencer was sick. He grew and ate and developed and thrived. He never showed any signs of being a sick baby, just like when Southwest thought he had an infection but Rainbow said, "This is NOT a sick child". No, he's not a sick child. He's an AWESOME child. And once the holidays are over, he's getting the biggest and best party I've ever thrown! After all the shenanigans that have occurred since his birth, he deserves a party. He's stronger than anyone I know.

And Hell, his parents could use a party, too.

So this is what I'm thankful for this year. That my bouncing baby boy has overcome yet another obstacle on his road to greatness and that Todd and I are still surviving it all. One more thing off the Gansert Family check list. Kick Leukemia's ass? CHECK. I'm also thankful for my rad friends and family, especially my sisters, without whom I would be far worse off than I am. Actually, I'm not in such bad shape.

After all, my son is cancer-free!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog had been my comfort dealing with my own fertility issues. You gave me hope. Obviously your fertility rubbed off on me because our little guys are 6 weeks apart. Iv always wanted to comment but never did. This post made me literally cry. I am beyond thrilled for you and your family. Happy thanksgiving. Now show us that baby!!!

    ReplyDelete