Thursday, November 17, 2011

***

I'm back. And I'm back to blogging.

Well, Maternity Leave is over after scoring an extra week at home. Sure, I had to have surgery to make it happen (damn kidney stone had the NERVE to get stuck) but it was one more week of Mommy/Spencer time.

But honestly, coming back to work has kind of been a blessing. I'm good at my job and being here is a time where I can't be all up in my head. As everyone knows, Spencer has some health and development issues (the latter of which I don't really like to talk about...other than to say I think he's going to blow everyone's minds because he's already exceeding expectations and rocking left and right). We didn't expect these things. There were no indicators...though there should've been. So it's been a little rougher on me than on the average mom.

And being a mom at all means I'm CONSTANTLY worried about my little guy, and would be whether he had any issues or not. So it's good to just dive into something else for a few hours. He's in good hands. He's got Father/Son time on Monday, and 15 hours with a sitter per week. That's really nothing. We're super lucky. I know this.

So I'm back. And I'll just quickly say that Spencer's appointment at the Pediatric Hematology and Oncology clinic at the Seidman Cancer Center (say that five times fast...and then throw up because it's horrific that he eve has to go there) went really well! My fella is 11 pounds 14 ounces and 24.2 inches long. All his number (platelets, white blood cells, complete neutrophil counts, hemoglobin) were all normal or above and the computer didn't pick up ANY abnormal cells. But that's happened twice before and a pathologist ended up seeing a few. Can't have a Remission party until those bastards are GONE according to a human being.

But overall, things look fantastic. They love him there. He has a plethora of nurse girlfriends and the doctors are amazed by how active, alert, and interested he is. He's taking in his surroundings and dancing his pants off, literally. But no matter how many times they tell me how good things LOOK (and how he's doing things beyond his age group), I won't be able to rest until I hear those stupid cells are gone. I'm going to be in Mom Panic Mode until then.

I guess that didn't really constitute "quickly".

Despite all the extra stress on us and on Spence, I love being a mom. It was something I knew I wanted to do but not something I knew I'd be good at. And I've got the best kid. I know every mom says that. He's so quiet and cute and content. Nothing going on in his life bothers him. He's a trooper at every doctor's appointment and just the sweetest boy at home. He's the best thing to EVER happen to me and I'm so looking forward to his first Turkey Day and Christmas.

And I couldn't handle any of this without my family and friends...The Spencer Army. Team Spencer. I appreciate everything everyone has done and will never be able to repay any of you the way you deserve. Especially my sisters, Spencer's best gals.

So today, I'm feeling good and strong. Pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment